Profile picture for user irina.popescu0
Irina Marica
Senior News & Features Writer

Irina holds a BA in Journalism. Her hobbies include reading, dancing, photography and she is passionate about music (especially Icelandic music), writing and Japanese literature. In the past, she has worked as an editor for an indoor-circuit TV station and also collaborated with several newspapers. You can send her press releases or feedback on her articles by e-mailing [email protected]

Study: 21% of urban Romanians plan to emigrate in the next two years

About 95% of Romanians living in urban areas know at least one person who moved to another country, temporarily or permanently, a study by iSense Solutions showed. Moreover, 21% plan to emigrate as well in the next two years.

Most Romanians (63%) have friends abroad, 54% have acquaintances living in another country, 53% have relatives abroad, 30% - work colleagues, and 13% - children who live in another country. The main countries where the Romanians have friends, acquaintances or relatives are the UK (59%), Italy (55%), Germany (47%), Spain (46%) and France or the United States (30%).

The study also revealed that most of those who think of emigrating are young people. 37% of Romanians aged 18-23 and 27% of those aged 24-38 (versus 21% of the total) intend to settle temporarily or permanently abroad in the next 24 months.

Of those planning to emigrate, 52% said they have no plans yet, 42% have already found a job in another country, and 12% will move to continue their studies abroad. Most of them want to emigrate to the UK (34%), Germany (15%), France (14%), Italy (14%) and the US (13%), and a large share, namely 48%, plan to leave in less than 12 months. The rest of 52% said they would do so in the next 13 to 24 months.

However, the good news is that only 4% of those who intend to emigrate said they don’t plan to return to Romania. Most (47%) are still undecided, while 42% want to return to Romania in less than 5 years.

The main reasons why Romanians want to emigrate are the desire to earn more money (37%) and Romania's political climate (37%), followed closely by the economic climate (36%), the medical system (32%), and the fact that the countries in which they want to move are more civilized than Romania (30%).

iSense Solutions carried the survey online on a sample of 500 respondents from urban areas.

According to data from the Friedrich Ebert Foundation’s Social Monitor, close to 2.58 million Romanians, representing close to 12% of the country’s total population, have lived abroad for more than a year.

Irina Marica, [email protected]

Normal
Profile picture for user irina.popescu0
Irina Marica
Senior News & Features Writer

Irina holds a BA in Journalism. Her hobbies include reading, dancing, photography and she is passionate about music (especially Icelandic music), writing and Japanese literature. In the past, she has worked as an editor for an indoor-circuit TV station and also collaborated with several newspapers. You can send her press releases or feedback on her articles by e-mailing [email protected]

Study: 21% of urban Romanians plan to emigrate in the next two years

About 95% of Romanians living in urban areas know at least one person who moved to another country, temporarily or permanently, a study by iSense Solutions showed. Moreover, 21% plan to emigrate as well in the next two years.

Most Romanians (63%) have friends abroad, 54% have acquaintances living in another country, 53% have relatives abroad, 30% - work colleagues, and 13% - children who live in another country. The main countries where the Romanians have friends, acquaintances or relatives are the UK (59%), Italy (55%), Germany (47%), Spain (46%) and France or the United States (30%).

The study also revealed that most of those who think of emigrating are young people. 37% of Romanians aged 18-23 and 27% of those aged 24-38 (versus 21% of the total) intend to settle temporarily or permanently abroad in the next 24 months.

Of those planning to emigrate, 52% said they have no plans yet, 42% have already found a job in another country, and 12% will move to continue their studies abroad. Most of them want to emigrate to the UK (34%), Germany (15%), France (14%), Italy (14%) and the US (13%), and a large share, namely 48%, plan to leave in less than 12 months. The rest of 52% said they would do so in the next 13 to 24 months.

However, the good news is that only 4% of those who intend to emigrate said they don’t plan to return to Romania. Most (47%) are still undecided, while 42% want to return to Romania in less than 5 years.

The main reasons why Romanians want to emigrate are the desire to earn more money (37%) and Romania's political climate (37%), followed closely by the economic climate (36%), the medical system (32%), and the fact that the countries in which they want to move are more civilized than Romania (30%).

iSense Solutions carried the survey online on a sample of 500 respondents from urban areas.

According to data from the Friedrich Ebert Foundation’s Social Monitor, close to 2.58 million Romanians, representing close to 12% of the country’s total population, have lived abroad for more than a year.

Irina Marica, [email protected]

Normal

Romania Insider Free Newsletter

Get in Touch with Us