Bucharest Centennial: The National Bank of Romania Palace, a landmark building in the capital
Romania-Insider.com has started a series of articles about Bucharest landmarks of architecture or history, which have witnessed the last century of what is now the Romanian capital, and noteworthy people who have helped build the Romanian…
Romania Insider · Journalist
· Updated · 6 min read

Romania-Insider.com has started a series of articles about Bucharest landmarks of architecture or history, which have witnessed the last century of what is now the Romanian capital, and noteworthy people who have helped build the Romanian capital as it is today. This project is supported by the Bucharest City Hall through the Public Monuments and Touristic Heritage Administration (AMPT), within the cultural program Bucharest-Centennial.
Check the full series of articles on Romania-Insider.com here. The Palace of the National Bank of Romania (BNR) in Bucharest is considered one of the capital’s most valuable public constructions dating back from the end of the 19th century. The monumental BNR palace building is a landmark of Bucharest’s architectural development of the time and reflects the history of an institution that played an important part in consolidating modern Romania and in the project of the Great Union of 1918. As such, during the First World War, at the end of which the Great Romania would be established, BNR supported the government by granting several loans to finance the war-related expenses. When granting these loans, BNR had private capital but held the state-granted privilege of issuance. BNR continued to have private capital until 1925. During that period, BNR also supported various charitable projects. It supported the subscription of 10 million lei, on a one-year term, with the 5% interest offered for the charity works of Queen Marie. Furthermore, BNR granted loans without an interest to refugees coming from Transylvania, for immediate necessities. Another important philanthropy work of the bank was the Hospital No. 113 in Bucharest, established in September 1916. It was administered by the National Orthodox Society of Romanian Women, and its monthly expenses were covered by BNR, which also took care of its endowment. The hospital ensured the care of many of those wounded in war, where almost two-thirds of the bank’s staff also fought. The Great Union of 1918, which brought the territorial expansion of Romania, meant, among other things, an effort of coordination and harmonization for the banking system. As such, the monetary unification was started and the leu replaced the currencies previously in circulation in the now united territories. BNR also expanded its network of branches and agencies all over the Great Romania. Many records of the bank’s activity from that period are now kept at the institution’s archives and at the BNR Museum, hosted in the old palace of the bank, and its first headquarters. The palace was constructed in the city’s oldest commercial part, in the area bounded by the old Lipscani street, Calea Victoriei, and Smârdan and Doamnei streets, on the plot that used to accommodate the Şerban Vodă Inn. At the end of the 19th century, Bucharest has started to accelerate its architectural development with the emergence of several financial and banking, cultural or commercial buildings. The BNR palace was the first important banking building in the capital and its architecture shows not only the importance of the institution but also the economic development of the time and the openness towards the European culture. It also marks the renewal of the capital’s architecture at the turn of the century. Most public buildings of importance, such as the Royal Palace, the Palace of Justice or the Palace of the Agriculture Ministry, were designed after the construction of the BNR palace started. Architect Joseph Cassien-Bernard, a collaborator of Charles Garnier, the author of the Paris Opera, and


