The building of Romania’s embassy in Beirut was only slightly damaged after the massive explosion that occurred on the evening of August 4, the Foreign Affairs Ministry (MAE) said. The entire staff of the diplomatic mission is safe.
MAE also said that it received no notifications so far concerning Romanian citizens affected by the explosion. No requests for consular assistance were received either, MAE said.
Romania’s embassy to Lebanon is currently in contact with the local authorities to determine the citizenship and identity of the people impacted by the explosion, and it is ready to provide consular assistance if needed.
President Klaus Iohannis sent condolences to the families of the victims of the explosion and expressed solidarity with the Lebanese people.
“My deepest condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible explosions in #Beirut. We stand by Lebanon and the Lebanese people in these difficult times,” a Twitter message on the president’s account reads.
My deepest condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible explosions in #Beirut. We stand by Lebanon and the Lebanese people in these difficult times.— Klaus Iohannis (@KlausIohannis) August 4, 2020
The explosion, which rocked the city’s port and surrounding areas, has been blamed on an estimated 2,700 tonnes of ammonium nitrate left unsecured in a warehouse.
The death toll after the explosion reached at least 100 on Wednesday morning, August 5, The Guardian reported quoting a Lebanese Red Cross official. Some 4,000 people were injured.