Saint-Gobain pumps EUR 6 million into new production line at Romanian factory

Saint-Gobain has invested EUR 6 million in a new laminated glass production line at its Romanian factory in Calarasi.

Recently announced by Saint-Gobain Romania General Manager Jerome Lionet, the new line is expected to create 35 jobs at the Calarasi plant.

About 80 percent of new laminated glass will go the residential market, the remaining 20 percent will go to non-residential projects including commercial and office design.

Half of the new product will be sold domestically while half will be exported to Bulgaria, Turkey, Serbia, Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, Greece and Croatia.

The factory in Calarasi employs 540 people and produces 21 million square meters of glass a year. The new production line’s capacity is 2 million square meters a year.

Saint-Gobain Glass Romania reported a turnover of EUR 65 million last year. Last year, the Saint-Gobain Group Romania reported a turnover of EUR 145 million.

As well as its glass arm, the group includes Saint-Gobain Construction Products, MTI Impex Brasov and Brodrene Dahl.

The four companies employ a total of some 1,000 employees and operate 12 production units in seven industrial sites located in Brasov, Branesti, Calarasi, Ploiesti, Satu-Mare, Turda and Suceava.

Shaun Turton [email protected]


Want to be up to speed with what's happening in Romania? We'll send your first batch of news for the day directly to your inbox.

Subscribe to our mailing list